Sunday, November 12, 2006

Serenity Now! Insanity Later...

Well, comps are officially over. It's sort of ironic - a process that is supposed to promote a sense of historical awareness and knowledge has instead ripped me of my confidence and left my graduate student soul in tatters.

Serenity now!

I'm officially ABD, (All But Dissertation), which means that I can focus solely on my own research. In addition to that project, however, I plan on developing and refining my digital history skills. Thus, this blog shall resume, and I will return from time-to-time to track my progress. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the digital groove.

Maybe it will help me stave off the insanity...

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan MacEachern said...

Wait, who taught you that the comps process was "supposed to promote a sense of historical awareness and knowledge"?

Think of the comps process more like ... more like ... let me see ... the opening scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Your dissertation is the little gold chubby guy. Your comps books are the stones on the floor in front of you. The comps were to teach you to walk cautiously, both by example ("this argument is imperfect because ____, this book works because _____") and by self-reflection ("how will I do better?"). The comps aren't meant to make writing your dissertation easier; in a way, they're to make it harder.

As for eventually publishing your dissertation -- do you remember the closing scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home